Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day Three - Talkin' it up!

Day 3 - Here we go, here we go, here we go – again! Are you tight-lipped about your weight loss efforts, and about your weight, or are you open and easy about it?  I’ve decided to change from tight-lipped to open and easy.  Here’s why. . .
I really think that by embracing that I’m doing WeightWatchers – that I’m doing ANYTHING about my weight, and by telling people I’m making these efforts, I find support in places I wouldn’t have otherwise had it.  I think if I tell people, I’ll be more successful.  People ask “hey, how’s It going? How do you feel?” or “so, what’s for lunch today?” I also have come to realize that by telling people, I actually feel BETTER about myself – no longer is it just fat me, walking around the halls.  It’s me, with my head held high, knowing that yeah, I gained weight, but you know what . . . I’m doing something about it!  It takes it out of the shadows and brings it out into the light of day.    I also get to hear people tell me THEIR stories, and what worked and didn’t work for them.  What snacks were good, what weren’t, etc.
Maybe there’s the “I might fail, and then everyone KNOWS” concern – enh.  Whatever.  Do you PLAN on failing? I don’t!  I’m not going to fail this time!  And who says what “success” is in this adventure, or how MUCH you need to lose to be successful?  Thinking “what if I fail, I don’t want to tell people because then they’ll KNOW I failed” is setting yourself up to do JUST that.  Everyone knows losing weight is hard.  NO ONE will judge you for not meeting your goals, but people WILL judge you (positively) for making the effort.
Now, what about saying your actual weight?  I say mine.  I’m not shy about it anymore.  I was, for a long time, and oddly, I’m shyer now about telling Men than Women.  But, honestly, if my diet comes up somehow, I don’t mind saying the number.  It’s JUST a number!  Again, I sort of embrace it.  “yeah, I’m 246 pounds – I pretty much have a small child to lose to get where I want to be.”  I try to put it in some humorous terms.  Usually this starts by my saying I need to lose 60-80 pounds and people saying “NO WAY!!!!” and me explaining that I USED to weigh 100 pounds less. . .not that I want to go back THAT far.  Then they look at me, and finally I admit the actual number.  They’re always surprised, and somehow I feel like they’re a little impressed that I’m confident enough to just throw it out there.
What if EVERYONE talked about their weight?  What if we did take this out of the shadows and brought it into the light of day?  Would people have more support societally to lose?  Would we have the obesity problems we have in this country?  What if we all just said “you know what, I gained weight, I’m taking my life back now!” I know women who have 5-10 pounds to lose, or who struggle just maintaining their VERY nice figures.  And I hear from them (one in my office recently) that they don’t feel like they have anyone to talk to, or to support them.  This isn’t easy for ANYONE!  We SHOULD talk about it.  We should tell people what WE are doing – we’ll get more support, and more motivation, and feel more accountable to ourselves, and to those around us, to succeed. . .and isn’t that what we all want? Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment